Labor of Love 2011

I want to thank my wife for being supportive. I put in a lot of hours training and preparing for this race. She went on long walks with me, listened to my worries and concerns, and helped me shop for last minute items. My running takes up a lot of time, but she loves me for some reason and tolerates all the craziness. Thanks honey :) Smooch!




Epic Fail! Not the 100 miles I was hoping for. NO EXCUSES.


The raceday forecast was for rain. So I wanted to buy some rain gear. I was expecting temperatures in the 40’s-50’s also. I got some nice fleece tops and bottoms and an REI Airflyte jacket.


It never rained, but it did snow twice while I was on the course. The snow was really cool, quiet, and beautiful. It was very tranquil and surreal. I kept looking for Santa Claus and singing Christmas carols in my head. In between the snow, it would get sunny, but I don’t think it was ever actually "warm." I had a lot of trouble getting a good temperature for myself. I had layers to keep warm in the snow, but then I was too hot to run. When I shed layers to run, I would get really cold when the wind blew. So yes it was tough, but I think I was well-equipped. I would not blame the weather for my performance.


The altitude on the other hand is still really difficult for me. I need to get acclimated better either by more training at higher elevations, or sleeping in acclimation tent. I trained to run 12 minute miles at sea level, and could barely run 13-14 minute miles at the lowest elevations on the course. The climbs were very gradual. I won’t say easy for me, but climbing was not too much of a problem, just breathing.


I think I paced myself well. I drank a couple gallons of HEED. Towards the end of the race, I had no appetite. All and all I think nutrition was not too much of a problem.


I looked at my data and don’t remember stopping for 2 hours. I took a break at mile 33 for soup and restroom break, but seemed like 20 minutes. I was planning on 5 minute stops, so I am amazed at how much time the Garmin says I was not moving. I would like to try the course again. I think I can get up to the mileage I need and overcome the elevation eventually. My training for this race was a lot of 10 milers due to time constraints. I would add miles here and there, but I was avoiding all speed work for fear of injury. I may have to work on careful speed work so I can increase my miles using less time.






The race was a good race. Nice people, well organized, easy course (terrain), friendly runners on the course (everyone was encouraging). Some people might not like the out and back format, but you get to see people coming and going continuously which was very nice. I will probably do this event next year. I will put video on YouTube and links to some picks.




Start of the Race

Other video and  photos

http://www.youtube.com/user/lamesamike?feature=mhum

https://picasaweb.google.com/104737472006591231252/LaborOfLove2011?authkey=Gv1sRgCJjhw-yukd-gCw&feat=directlink

Comments

Popular Posts