2009 Noble Canyon 50K

Most sports keep score to determine the winner or loser. Running uses time and distance to measure a winner, but when so many runners toe the line simply to participate, who really loses? I keep my own score with a simple system. Feel free to make your own.

Finishing: +1
My first goal was to finish the race. I know some of the top performers will drop out of race when they don’t feel competitive, but this is the biggest race of the year for me. Finishing was a must. With numerous temptations to quit like cramps, heat, and hills, finishing is not a cop out; it is an accomplishment.

Maximum Effort: +1
I gave maximum effort in this year’s race. At the finish when I wanted to walk, I picked out targets to run to, like from a tree to the next shadow in the road. I would run from a sign to a telephone pole. At the very end, I ran the last 2 or 3 tenths at a jogging snail’s pace. I managed a slightly sub-13:00 min/mile pace to cross the finish line.

Distance: +1
50K is still my longest distance. The ultra is like a running buffet, “all you can eat.” I did not walk away hungry.

Terrain: +1
Noble Canyon is the toughest terrain that I have ever done. There are plenty of rocky trails, climbing, views of the desert, and sunshine (heat). See photos.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lamesamike/NobleCanyon2009?feat=directlink

Speed: -1
My time was 8:53. This was not as fast as I wanted to run. I beat my 2008 time of 9:09, but not my 2007 PR of 7:52. I had my Garmin 305 set for 5:00 minute and 1:00 minute intervals, but I really tried to adapt to the trails. Link below shows the Garmin activity.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/14601942

Cramps: -1
I had cramps last year and again this year. When I say “cramps,” I mean involuntary muscle contractions resulting in agonizing pain. Last year the cramps made it difficult to walk. This year, the cramps only made it difficult to run. They started in my calves and slowly worked into the thighs. I had all the salt, water, and Gatorade I could take. I had 18 S!Caps and 3.2 gallons of fluids. I need to find a way to beat the cramps. I plan to increase mileage 10% (slowly).

Running with Cramps: +1
Anybody can run without cramps, I ran with cramps for over 4 hours. When I couldn’t run, I would walk. When, my calves loosened a little, I would run again. Sometimes I would run for a couple minutes, sometimes for only few yards. I could have easily given away another half hour.


Joy: +1
This is corny, but after reading Born to Run by Christopher McDougall, I tried to find joy while running. The way I do it is to shout out loud “find the joy!” This mantra and a forced smile will remind me where I am (outdoors and off the couch), why I am there (to get fit), and where I am going (searching for my limits). Sure it is corny. There are times on a long run where you’re your body, mind, and the environment are telling you to quit. So think of sitting in you office in front of a computer when you are on the trail and see if you can’t smile a little bit and pity the fools who can’t find the joy.

So this is how I keep score. I will score some other events as I run them to compare. Vegas Ragnar Relay is coming up in 2 weeks . The goal is to have fun, then to finish. Time is not as important as supporting the team. So for Noble Canyon 50K 2009 my score is +4 the way I add it up. Zero and above is a winner using my system, so not bad. How do you keep score?

Comments

Popular Posts