Multiple Goals and training plans

New Post for 6/10/2016

My Goals and Training:

I want to qualify for Western States.  I think  it is beyond my capabilities, I have seen a lot of really good runners not make it.  I would consider myself a slower "back of the packer."

I also have some "faster" goals.  I would like to run a sub 1:40 half and a sub 4:00 marathon.  I have only run the sub 4:00 hour marathon once.

So how do you train for these two goals?

Western States is a long shot….and I would hate to get in and then waste the opportunity.

Here is my time line:

Short term – Boilermaker 15k July 10, 2016.  Goal Sub 90 minutes.  I can easily run the time, but I get seeded in the middle and the first 4 miles will be at 10+ pace.  So I am hoping to take what I get for 4 miles and run the last 5 miles Sub 9.  I have a SMART COACH plan on my phone that has prescribed workouts for this.

Medium term –
Disneyland ½ marathon -  Goal Sub 2 hours.  I can run sub 2, but again I don’t get seeded that close to the front and have suffered some crowding in the parks   ( about 4 miles).  So I am taking the same approach, take what I get in the parks, then sub 9 the rest of the way.

Noble Canyon 50K - Goal Sub 8 hours.  This will be a test for me.  I can do the 8 hours, but my averages are mostly higher on this course and it is easy to give away an hour.  I plan to visit the higher elevation 3-4 times this year to get a handle on pacing that is different than at sea level.  Noble Canyon is not that high (peaks around 5K), but it does effect me quite a bit.  And it can be hot.

Cuyamaca 100K -  Goal Sub 17 hours.  This is to qualify for Western States.  Lots of climbing two weeks after Noble Canyon.  I am using Hal Koerner’s 100k plan from his book.
NYC Marathon – Goal Sub 4 hours.  I have a Plan from NYC Road Runners

Long Term –
Paris Marathon 2017 – Goal Sub 4 hours
Western States….Goal finish in 30 hours.  Back up Race is SD100 if I don’t get into States.


So the idea is to do all the miles in Hal’s plan, all the workouts in the NYC plan, and hit some of the speed/tempo times from SMART COACH.

Comments

Popular Posts