Peanut Butter Ultramarathon Plan

For the Noble Canyon 50k this year. I am taking some peanut butter sandwiches. I will carry about 140 oz of beverages.

There is nothing magic about peanut butter, but I find it helps to have something to look forward to. I have no problem with gels and bars. I like almost all of them. But mentally telling yourself that you are going to pull out the sandwich in 5 miles or 3 miles is motivational. Try this with something you like. Bring real home made cookies or chocolate (if you can keep it from melting).

I use this technique with my water and sports drinks too. I think run ½ a mile and take a drink. Really thirsty? Pick up the pace. People have made fun of me for putting ice in my camelback. It makes noise on the trail, but ice cold sips can really cheer me up.

I will carry GU and Cliff blocks. I love Gatorade. But bring yourself a treat.

Comments

  1. Sound like good tips to me. I am in awe of you who run these kind of races. Remarkable. And for some inspiration for you, check out this video -- ahamoment.com/pg/moments/view/7216 -- about the "aha moment" of one runner, experienced during a 104-mile race, and how it changed his perspective on life. Hope you enjoy it.

    Best,
    jack@ahamoment.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts