Las Vegas Ragnar Relay


















The 2009 Las Vegas Ragnar Relay was full of highs and lows. On the low side, Jeremy Kunz was killed by a suspected drunk driver. The Ragnar Relay Facebook page has details of the incident, and I will say our team was in shock and heartbroken. We send our prayers and condolences to his family.

On the high side, our team, 094 Punishment for Gluttony, completed the 2009 Las Vegas Ragnar Relay as an Ultra team. This was a lot more difficult than we thought it would be, but we do feel extra cool for doing it the hard way. Besides having half of the normal 12 runners (we had six), the ultra rules require that each runner complete 2 legs consecutively (the harder part).

Kudos to the team. I think I am the only one who really likes to run far (far means more than 3 miles). My segments were tough, but I have to admit they were mostly downhill and at night when it was cool. Rob and Bryanna ran about the same distance UPHILL and during the HOTTEST parts of the day.

Rob was fresh off his 3rd place finish in the Rhino division at his local 20K (I didn’t know there was a Rhino division either). So watching him was really inspirational. I respect the gazelle-like runners that sprint whisper-quiet along the course too, but watching Rob pound the pavement like a square-wheeled steam roller is much more impressive. It is all muscle and will, no technique or training.

Bryanna is more the gazelle-type. I think I sweat more than she weighs. She easily made the rest of us look like we were standing still. Her miles had to be the hottest temperature-wise. She was on the road at noon both days. I think she surprised herself.

At one point during her last segment, she was pretty delirious and told me she was “done.” I jumped back in the van and began to work out a strategy to continue. I asked Rob to put his shoes back on and get ready for the next exchange. I told him to at least start the leg until I found some safety pins and could relieve him. At the next exchange, Bryanna asked, “which way do I go?” Then she turned around and kept running for another 8+ miles. She does not remember Rob standing right next to her asking for the baton. She thinks we ignored her request to drop out; we thought she was badass.

Van 1 (Rick, Holly, and Ryan) had their share of HEAT and HILLS too, so don’t let the mileage fool you. Rick, who is outstanding at the 2-4 mile distance, had one of the steepest sections of the course and a crippling cramp that froze him in his tracks. Holly discovered severe dehydration and other complications that you just don’t mess with. Ryan said goodbye to at least one toe nail.

Everyone in Van 1 had the full heat and hills of the course. I did not get to run until late Friday afternoon (near dark) so I know the heat and the hills were the worst for everyone who ran before me. Lesson learned: Don’t focus on the mileage only when assigning legs. Estimate time of day, temperature, and elevation also. Seven miles at noon can be harder than 11 miles at night. To be honest, Rob was probably in the least shape for this type of event, but he is my friend and I wanted him in my Van (logical). I talked him into the race with the promise that he would only need to run about 6 miles at a time, then Rick said he had a pinched nerve, Holly was threatening to be pregnant, and Ryan was a first timer/non-runner. It is hard to plan too much…too far in advance.

We were not as well-trained as we wanted to be, but I think we ran a smart race for us. We kept the off vehicle out of the race after the first legs to rest the “off“ runners. During our Los Angeles Ragnar, we did not do this. We actually were able to get a shower and close our eyes. Breaking up the race makes it easier. Also, we got a real meal. I mean something other than a gel, a bar, or sports drink. It is easy to lose track of time on a Ragnar and forget that you need to eat something that did not have a wrapper around it.

We are really jazzed about the “ultra” title. It is harder to earn than we thought, but worth it. It is hard to consider a regular race now. I think we will train a little more seriously and improve a little. I can’t wait to get back out there. The people you meet at a Ragnar event are instant friends, and the event is pure fun. Ultra-running can be solitary and competitive, but the relay makes it a team sport with emphasis on encouragement and participation.

Comments

Popular Posts