American River 50 Preparation

The American River 50 is April 10th, 2010. I ask myself am I ready? I think so. I will attempt a 30+ mile run tomorrow (no pressure, easy does it), then I will start to taper.

My goal is to finish. I am running often but not overdoing it. I have done very light training. I feel a little strain on my calf by the knee, and I know not to aggravate it. I am avoiding speed work in the classic sense (no track intervals or sprints), but I do strides and farklets durning my shorter workouts. Also, I have enlisted a personal trainer at my gym, and he has focused on muscle development. I do lots of lunge, squat, and jump stuff. I know I look like an elephant at the circus, but after 1 hour, I can barely walk to the water fountain.

My goal for 30 miles is 6 hours. A mere 5 mph. I am really curious about miles 21-30 to see what kind of pace I can keep. I would like to throw in 2 ten minute breaks to buy a gatorade. First break at 17 miles and second break at 27 miles. I will try to keep moving as much as possible.

I will give an update tomorrow.

Comments

Popular Posts