Long Training Run

I finally got in a long training run. I ran 34.6 miles March 24th. That is the farthest that I have ever gone. I have actually taken more time at Noble Canyon (significant elevation changes), but 34.6 is the farthest distance I have ever completed.

I did it in 7:16:28. I stopped twice to refill water and Gatorade. I bought a Cliff bar too. I think I need to add about 34 minutes for pauses/breaks (the Garmin auto-pauses when I stop).

The average min/mile was 12:37 which is slow, but I think I will be able to complete the American River 50 under the 13:00 hour cutoff. With aid stations on the course, I can carry less and stop for less time.

It was dark when I left the house, but the day shaped up beautifully with clear skies and a light breeze. I was starting to feel the heat around noon.

I did have the “dry heaves” around mile 24 basically because I was starving and didn’t have anything solid in my gut. That’s why I got the cliff bar. For the entire experience, I had about 1.4 gallons of fluids (water and Gatorade), 1 Hammer gel, 1 normal Cliff bar, and one sample size Cliff bar. I plan to pick up any potatoes, nuts, and peanut butter at the actual American River event.

I am not in that bad of shape the day after. I have the normal soreness (not that bad), but I did have some severe chaffing. I used Glide, but I missed 3 spots (under arm by chest strap and both inner thighs). Ouch! No pictures. My feet are also very sore. I did work out with my personal trainer the day after (March 25th). He showed no mercy. I think working out (not running) really helped because Friday I feel pretty good. I might run for hour tonight.


South Carlsbad about 17.2 miles where I turned around.
If you want to see the details. One of my favorite things to do is zoom out really far and look at how long the run is.


I have looked at the data in excel and added a trend line to help predict my 50 mile time. I don’t think it will be exact, but it does give me some confidence that I will make it.

Estimated based on trendline
11:11:39

Comments

Popular Posts