American River 50 M 2010

WoooHooo! 50 Miles! I am stunned and in shock. The experience was surreal.

First the Thank You’s:


Thank you to my wife for her support and understanding. Running can be a pretty selfish and time consuming passion, but it is my second passion; she is my first.

Thanks to the American River and race director Julie Fingar for having the race and providing such a looonnnnggggg course. Sometimes a 50K just doesn’t satisfy the running appetite, so you have to super-size the work out with a 50 miler.

Thank you to the aid stations that were like Vegas Buffets. The had chicken noodle soup, madelienes, Payday candy bars, marshmallow treats, bananas, potatoes, brownies, chips, Coke, Sprite, and Gu. They had other stuff too, but that’s the stuff I ate the most. I don’t know why I carried anything. I might have been stuffed when I finished.

Thanks to Joey and Leslie for taking me. Good company, good friends, and good times. I don’t know if my laughing muscles or my racing muscles hurt more. I am sure we laughed more than we ran.

Going with Joey and Leslie introduced me to Gretchen, Bob, and Mary. Thanks to them for all the hospitality, for dinner, and the awesome breakfast. Having Gretchen as a “local” guide made all the activities smooth. It was fun seeing Dave, Jenny, and John again also. Having friends at the race raised my spirits so many times. The encouragement and support is more powerful than any other running elixir. Sharing the event with friends makes a great memory instead of a great story.

About the race:


The first marathon distance was ok. I got the impression that the “Lance Armstrongs” were not enthusiastic race supporters. But the course was very gentle and a little courtersy kept me “out of the way.” I treated the distance a a total warm up. I kept my heartrate 140 bpm or less. That is slower than I normally run and maybe slower than I really needed to go, but I had no idea how I would feel at the end. The 26.7 mile split was 5:34. I may have been too conservative but I don’t think I could knock of more than about 30 minutes.

I was pretty beat at Beal’s Point (26.7). The thoughts of quitting and resting and driving away were popping into my head like a game of whack-a-mole. Thanks Leslie, John and Gretchen for being there. I got such a boost. I really expected the “crew” to follow Joey (who is way faster and was battling Jenny) more closely. I would have rather watched Joey and Jennifer. So, I was super surprised and very happy to see them. Now the park is an in- and- out U-shape, so after a quick hello and refuel, I got back on track. Then I saw a pristine rest room (not a porta potty) and made a pit stop.

My advice: If you see a sutiable restroom with paper, stop. In 50 miles you will need to go.

Anyway, they had walked across the park to watch me continue, so I exited the restroom to cheers and applause. Embarassing or funny? All I know is was smiling as I got back into the rhythm of the race.

The second part of the course is a little deceiving on the elevation chart. Overall the elevation gain is about neutral, but it really is a roller coaster full of moderately strenuous uphills with gentle downhills. Running them over and over and over takes a lot of energy. I tried to run every part that looked flat or downhill while trying to maintain my heartrate in the target area of 130-140 bpm. The constant climbing and decending was grueling. Heart pounding on the uphills and quads pounding on the downhills. My first half pace was 12:37 per mile and the second half was about 18:24 per mile. I probably could have exerted myself a little more in this section, but I did not know when it would end. I did not want to risk a cramp or strain. The end of the race has a ridiculous climb that was hard to even walk. The difference was that it was no surprise, and the climb ended in 3 miles.

So from a “technical” perspective the middle of the course was hardest part for me and the part I will prepare for most next year. From a “where would you rather run perspective,” give me fifty miles of the middle section. Single track, rocks, gravel, mud, trees, the sound of the river, beautiful views. I don’t run ultra races to see no bikepath.

The last part of the race is about a 3 mile climb. I miscalculated the location of the last aid station by a half mile (I am convinced that it was moved and all documentation has since been forged by a government conspiracy). My Garmin battery died, which really killed my sense of progress and time. The hill was so steep at the 3-mile-to-go point, that I doubted I could actually walk it. I felt like I might have to tack, or zig-zag, to maintain traction. I was getting nervous. Then a tiny flat spot of about 50 yards, jog, jog, jog. Then steep, walk, walk, walk. Finally the aid station.

The 17 and 18 year old volunteers from the final aid station ran down the hill to grab my bottles and offer assistance. Then ran back up to fill the bottle. Encouraging? Undecided. But much love to the volunteers. I was only filling one bottle to minimize the weight I was carrying. With 3 miles to go I probably didn’t need to fill the one bottle.

With 2 miles to go I see somebody walking the wrong way. It’s Joey yelling “is that big Mike?” Of course I knew Joey would be done before me. I hoped they would give me a ride back. I can’t believe he walked 2 miles down the hill to encourage me up. Then I see Leslie coming down with BEER. Nice. I was not going to stop or quit, but I might not have smiled if I hadn’t seen them.

This has to be one of the best races for me ever. I can improve the speed sure, but the happiness quota was filled. I finished in a good mood. I did not feel totally depleted or defeated (although I was pretty depleted). I did not party very much afterwards, my feet hurt and I was very cold. A hot shower helped me warm up, but it was hard to sleep.

We had a great breakfast the next morning and began the drive back. The reality had not set in very much even at that point. Even a week later, I don’t want to be done, I want to be back there running still. I feel like it went by too quickly and that I missed something.

Oh well, I don’t think I can do 100 miles in 24hrs, but I think I can do 100 miles or 24hrs. We’ll see when the traininig starts up again.

Below is the Garmin data...click on "view details" to see the speed (or lack of), heartrate, etc...  I did not stop as much as indicated, so I think the terrain sometimes makes it look like you are stopped.  I stopped at the restroom around 26.7 (10 minutes max), but no more than about 2 or 3 minutes per aid station (which is about 33 minutes).



http://connect.garmin.com/activity/30004188



See Joey's blog "Racezilla"

Photos

American River 50 Miler

Comments

Popular Posts