Oriflamme 50K

Oriflamme 50K was a success.  I have a new 50K PR of 7:12 which is pretty good considering the difficulty of the course.  I had a rough patch or two to overcome, but all in all a great experience.

We started at 6am with a small group, this was an early start option 1 hr ahead of the regular start. I felt confident that I could make the cutoff, but I could always use some extra time to cope with the unexpected. My friend Ron also started at 6am for the same reason.  It was dark and cool, and nobody wanted to jump into the lead.  At first, it looked like we we all going to stand there and  not even start.  Ultras are so different from regular races where everyone fights to get to the front.  Finally someone took the first step and we all filed through the chip timing gate.  I wore a head light and tried not to crowd.  I also had a camera and got some pictures.

The first 5.4 miles is described as rolling.  The description is accurate.  The single track was tight and it was dark, but sunrise gently revealed the landscape. The morning was still cool, calm, and quiet.  I wish I could have squeezed the entire race into the first five miles.

After the aid station, the course widened to fire road width and became a steep downhill ride, maybe a little too steep, and in parts too rocky for creatures without hooves.  I tried to go as fast as I thought was safe.  When the course finally flattened out, it turned to sand.  The sand was kind of soft for running, but it felt good on the feet after the rocks.  It wasn't to far until the next aid station.  The course turned back to trail and follow a small canyon up to desert plain.  The final aid/turn around was water only and back the way you came.

I was feeling invincible, strong, like I had winged feet until about mile 23.  "The Wall."  I was totally sapped of all energy.  I made it through the sand and was beginning the ascent.  I felt great 1 second and the next,  I could barely stand. No warning really, I was dizzy and nauseous.  I sat on a rock and had a gel.  After about 5 minutes of self pity, I realized that I had to start walking.  I did not feel great, but the short rest, the gel, and some water helped.

Ron and I started together.  He got ahead of me about 1/2 a mile when I kept stopping to take pictures.  I caught up about mile six, but let him go when I kept taking pictures.  I passed him about mile 14 or 15 and probably had 1/2 a mile on him.  He caught me just after my little pity party. He said he was thinking about turning in his bib at the next aid station. I laughed at him and said, "you should have seen me about 5 minutes ago."  We continued to walk for while and I started to cramp really bad.  Paralyzing cramps.  At that point, another runner offered salt tablets and an Advil.  I thought I was done, but I took all the tablets and continued to plod along.  I was walking like a penguin with diarrhea on the way to bathroom.  I really couldn't bend my legs at all and was using ankle power only.

The climb in front of us was huge.  I told Ron, just look to the next turn and keep moving.  We did.  One switchback at a time, working out the cramps, steadily making progress to the aid station.

The wonderful aid station.  We got ice cold refreshments and watermelon.  YUM YUM.  As we continued, I felt strong, so I told Ron to get in front, I did not want to lose him.  I told him to run everywhere he thought he could run and walk when he needed.  We started to really pick up speed. We worked together to get to the end.

I usually don't work with someone when I am in a race.  I drop back when I think the  pace is too fast and pass when I can.  But working with Ron really helped step up my game. I didn't want either one of us to quit.

Here are some photos:

https://plus.google.com/photos/104737472006591231252/albums/5728855652629609521?authkey=CLLxlInat4Hk6AE

Here are some videos:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD3E7F2AD619293C4

Comments

Popular Posts