America's Finest City Half Marathon 2009

Great Race today. Coolest it's been in the last 3 years. I ran a solid 2:01:29 which is better than the 2:37 I ran last year after knee surgery.

The race starts at Cabrillo National Monument. You can see NAS North Island and the sub base from the start as well as the Coronado bridge and downtown. I got there SUPER early and waited for sunrise. When you live in San Diego, it is easy to take it for granted. But I had to keep checking the scenery to really enjoy the race.

We started out in the cemetery and everyone is pretty quiet out of respect. Then we turn into some very nice Point Loma neighborhoods. I get a big boost from the spectators in front of their homes, especially the ones that are sipping coffee and staring at the runners like they are a stampede of wild animals. The neighborhoods are the big downhill start, and I tried to take full advantage.

As the course flattened out, I began to slow, gradually, not too bad. Harbor Island has been a humid, breeze-free section of the course in the past. This year was breeze-free, but it was not too hot. There was a water skier on the bay cheering for us as we ran by. I have not enjoyed this section of the course before. Maybe it was the heat or the pain, but this year I took a minute to really look at the Star of India, the U.S.S. Midway, the Coronado bridge, and Downtown. Very nice view and makes me appreciate what I usually take for granted.

I made it to downtown in pretty good time. I was dreading the hills and the heat. Although not as hot as previous years, I was beginning to heat up. I dumped a cup of water on my head at the next aid station (thank you volunteers). Then I settled in for the slight incline that leads to the 6th ave hill. Spectator support was keeping me afloat. When I turned on 6th ave, I almost stopped. Man did the hill look steep. I walked for about 50ft and took a few hits of Gatorade that I carry. Then I gave myself a pep talk and started running up sixth ave. I was trying to calculate if I could break 2 hrs - and my best estimate was that I would come in at 2:04. I was not holding back on the hill, but I did not want to overdo it either. You need to be realistic. Trying to make up 4 minutes in the last mile is too much. Think about it. If you run 9 minute miles and need to make up 4 minutes in a mile, you have to run a 5 minute mile. For me, that ain't gonna happen.

I did manage 10:30 for mile 12 and 13 with a 8:26 for the final quater. I was pretty satisfied with the effort, and I really had a pretty good race. San Diego is a runner's paradise. There is lots to see and plenty of great places to run.

Comments

Popular Posts