San Francisco Marathon 2009

My Dad came from Florida to see me run the SF Marathon. That made the trip very special. We ate and drank in the City. Friday's dinner was at Scoma's and we had the seafood grill platter. I am a big eater, but I did not have room for dessert. Was it the 3 loaves of piping hot Sourdough bread and butter? Or was it the lobster, scallops, and crab? Beer counts as carb loading right?

The reason I chose SF was to run out and back on the Golden Gate Bridge. Mission accomplished. Of course, at mile 20 I began to wonder why I didn't just run the first half marathon. The first halfers get to cross the bridge too, but marathoners see the whole city and get a nicer(bigger) medal.

I started at 6:19am in wave 6. The first few mile were very quiet. Because of the wave start, I was out in front (not my regular spot). We spread out very quiclky through the Embacadero, and most of the spectators were still in bed. I caught a glimpse of Alcatraz throught the fog as I ran through the Wharf area. When I got to the bridge I was so excited I had to slow myself down to enjoy it. It was very cool and foggy. Some areas were slippery, but the excitement kept me on me toes. I could not see the top of the bridge, the ocean, the shore, or the sky. It was like running in a cloud.

After coming of the bridge, we ran to the park. The park was nice, but when I left, the sky cleared and the sun warmed the last six miles as we wove through the traffic breaks.
I really got to see a lot of San Francisco. I recommend the marathon. I ran 4:49 (twenty minutes slower than planned), but I have to say I succeeded on so many other goals that I will let the twenty minutes go.

#1 spent weekend with dad
#2 ran the Bridge....YAY! worth the trip
#3 saw Bart Yasso a second time and got 2nd autograph (My Life on the Run is a good book that makes me want to go places)
#4 meet Dean Kanazes and got autgraph on 3 items. Dean was very nice to everyone. (his books make me think I can run a far as I want)
Weight after SF 224lbs (260 all time high)

I have some pictures on Picasa for those interested.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lamesamike/Raceday?feat=directlink

Comments

Popular Posts